Medication Safety Test
1. Ordered: 1000 mL to be infused for 12 hr IV. At how many mL/hr will you set the infusion device?
2. Ordered: 200 mL cefazolin to infuse for 45 min on the infusion device. At how many mL/hr will you set the infusion device?
3. Ordered: 250 mL to infuse for 90 min. How many mL/hr will infuse if the electronic infusion device is use?
4. Ordered IV of 1000 mL D5W containing 40,000 u heparin to infuse at 30 mL/hr. Calculate the dosage of heparin the patient is receiving per hour.
5. Ordered: 800 mL to be infused for 12 hr IV. At how many mL/hr will you set the infusion device?
6. Ordered IV of 500 mL D5W containing 25,000 units Heparin to infuse at 15 mL/hr. Calculate the dosage of heparin the patient is receiving per hour.
7. Your order reads “Heparin 2200 units/hr IV gtt.” You have Heparin 25,000 units/500mls. What hourly rate do you program on the IV pump?
8. Ordered: Tylenol 1000 mg po Q 6 hours prn headache. On hand: Tylenol 500 mg tabs. How many tabs should the patient receive?
9. You have admitted a patient with complaints of chest pain. The NP ordered Lovenox 1mg/kg SQ daily for this 150 lb patient. You have available Lovenox 30 mg/0.3.ml, 60 mg/0.6ml, and 100 mg /ml prefilled syringes. Which syringe should you use?
10. Your patient needs a new IV bag. Her orders read NS 75 ml/hr. You have 3 hours left in you shift and are wondering if you will have to hang another bag before you leave. How long will the 1L bag last your patient?
11. Ordered is Rocephin 1.5 gm IM now. Available is Rocephin 500 mg/ml. What volume should be given?
12. Ordered: Vancomycin 2 gm/250 mls IVPB. Vancomycin can be given over 2 hours. What rate should be programmed into the IV pump?
Photo from: http://www.trcc.commnet.edu/admissions/updates/images/test.jpg